±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 32473
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 178

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Cell Phone Range Data

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Cell Phone Range Data

Post Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm

Does anyone have any case history dealing with cell phone range data, such as RTT, PCMD or NELOS)? Do you know of any scientific papers that describe the accuracy or limitations of this data?

Thanks in advance.  

vkc21

Re: Cell Phone Range Data

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:17 am

There are many online docs as I don't know your grade of expertise you may start here

patentimages.storage.g...447328.pdf
www.fd.org/docs/traini...alysis.pdf

If you can more precise define which generation of cellular network (GSM, UMTS or LTE x)
you investigate more info can be posted.

Ready to assist Smile  

RolfGutmann

Re: Cell Phone Range Data

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:26 am

vkc21,
About a year or two ago I spoke to an ADA in Nashville that told me about a case they were using NELOS data in. I don't recall whether or not it was utilized to compel a confession, or if it was presented in open court? It may take me a day or two, but I will reach out and try to see how it was used and possibly get a transcript if possible.

I have an example of RTT animation I use from time to time to show students that it can be useful, but more so in regard to the range from the tower. That range of course can be along the entire coverage area of the sector and it usually carries a +/- .1 miles with it.

The Lat/Long coordinates are virtually useless. I might look at them in regard to a case involving exigent circumstances, but I would never use them historically in a criminal case to try and place someone "at the scene of the crime."

For Verizon's RTT you will need to supply your own expert.

Sprint has a team that can testify to PCMD, but they will likely tell you exactly what their PCMD disclaimer says.

A Google search might be worthwhile?

If you are LE you might try reaching out to FBI C.A.S.T.

I'm not a cellular technology expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

hcso1510

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share and Like this forum topic to get more replies

Page 1 of 1