±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 35657
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 139

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Documentation practices

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

andy1500mac

Documentation practices

Post Posted: Jul 02, 05 15:50

Hello all,

I am in the habit of buying small used HDD off a local computer store and without any “specific” information to look for I am basically trying to garner as much info on the previous user/company as possible from it.

- surfing habits
- email
- Registry info
- documents, pics, etc.…
- Slack and unallocated space.
- Programs

More or less building of profile (for lack of a better term) of the user and his/her habits, without having much background to start with.

What I am wrestling with is what to include for example in my “personal” notes. The tools I use will have the built in reporting features that cover a good deal of what has been done (hashes, file searches, bookmarked info, screenshots etc…)

In any personal notes should I be including:

- Redundant info already captured by the tool that I might deem a priority?
- Info not captured that may be needed?
- What exactly is the habit of most out there? Something standard or really subjective?
- Would anyone be willing to send me/post an actual example of something they have worked on?

Thanks in advance,
Andrew.  

Page 1 of 1