±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36632
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 114

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

HELP/IDEAS?! university project

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

s1lang

Re: HELP/IDEAS?! university project

Post Posted: Dec 12, 08 14:47

- Sleepy

If any of you are actually interested in our amateurish testing, I'll see if the rest of the team would mind if I posted our notes here.

Ooooo yes please Sleepy Smile  

Ivalen

Post Posted: Dec 13, 08 05:58

"My neighbor was using my wireless, or at least he used to"

Prove it.  

neddy

Post Posted: Dec 15, 08 00:32

It seems to me that the topics mentioned are well beyond the normal scope of a BSc final year project and are more akin to a MSc. I would advise you to focus on a subject that you are familiar with and apply the knowledge attained from your BSc units to show how this teaching has assisted you in your project. This allows the project assessor to justify the curriculum and if the units have indeed helped you to produce a good report, I am sure this will be reflected in your mark.

- Ivalen

Prove it.

Ivalen has identified a very good subject that could be a lot of fun to investigate. I like Ivalen's idea as you could create a 'Honeytrap' router and record activity on the router from a vast range of scenarios. However, you may find the results of the experiment may relate more to user activity or statistics than pure digital forensics. Still, that's allowed is it not?
!(-.-)!~~ 

thegavster

IDEAS?! for a silution to university project

Post Posted: Jan 15, 09 04:43

Ok iv been thinking bout this for a while and talked it over with my uni tutor. He agrees in saying it will be difficult to impliment. One solution would be to simulate the firmware of the router or try to see if there is a "wireless router virtual machine" that you can use to simulate data.

I have used VMware before. But i have never come across Vm that can simulate any type of networking device (ie router, wireless AP, switch etc). Has anyone else come across this or is more familiar than me, in virtual software that is capable of what i am trying to achieve. Im going to look now.....hope someone ca help.

BTW thanks everyone so far who has replied....big help!

Gav  

mialta

Post Posted: Jan 15, 09 06:02

Hi

There are a few linux distros which turn a pc into a wireless router a quick google should get you a list.

If one of these supports USB wireless devices you should be able to get it going in a VM.

Mialta  

newwave

Post Posted: Jan 15, 09 07:36

Prove it.

Re-route to honeypot server?  

CdtDelta

Post Posted: Jan 15, 09 08:24

What about something along the lines of dd-wrt on a Linksys WR54G? Or getting a Cisco 800 series router off of eBay? That gives you some cheap options to play around with, and there are certainly enough places on the web to find ways to hack the Linksys routers to do whatever you want.

Tom  

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next