±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 32473
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 119

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

The darker side of being a computer forensics analyst

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 

Re: The darker side of being a computer forensics analyst

Post Posted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 7:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I know its an old post but I am nearing my end in university and always wanted to work for LE thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread I enjoy learning off people who have been there and done it.

My course has become more open with the darker side of CF over last 3 months as lectures know we have a chance of seeing this in industry.

But even after reading this it still hasn't put me off wanting to go into this field as I believe you have to look at the bigger picture and look past what has appeared on your monitor  

CreativeStorm

Post Posted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:04 am

- CreativeStorm

But even after reading this it still hasn't put me off wanting to go into this field as I believe you have to look at the bigger picture and look past what has appeared on your monitor

Which is a good thing Smile , as it's a dirty job, but someone gotta do it, Wink

What you will learn in due time (not necessarily related to this specific topic) is that what has been seen cannot be unseen, what piles up after years in a profession, whatever profession it is, is not only "experience".

It is well possible that one day you will feel that enough is enough and that you simply cannot bear anymore of the sh*t you have to deal with, no matter if it is something really disturbing such as dealing with CP/IIOC as a digital investigator or (say) curing cavities as a dentist.

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:47 am

Just been offered my first digital forensics role - I will have to report back on my coping strategies.  

sphere

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:56 pm

What is the best place for someone to get into this type of forensics? I finished my degree 3 years ago, and have been doing incident response and forensics but when I was going to school this was the type I wanted to get into. It seems almost impossible to find private organizations that do this type of work. I am former military and would love to be a cop and do this type of work, however I am not willing to eat a 65% pay cut to be a cop.

I live about an hour away from the NMEC in Vienna, VA and have thought about looking for work there, but they are so cryptic about what they actually do- I don't know if it's what I am looking for. Does anyone know how to get into this line of work without being law enforcement? The OP made it sound like he wasn't in LE.  

Krieger0311

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 1:47 pm

- Krieger0311
What is the best place for someone to get into this type of forensics? I finished my degree 3 years ago, and have been doing incident response and forensics but when I was going to school this was the type I wanted to get into. It seems almost impossible to find private organizations that do this type of work. I am former military and would love to be a cop and do this type of work, however I am not willing to eat a 65% pay cut to be a cop.

I live about an hour away from the NMEC in Vienna, VA and have thought about looking for work there, but they are so cryptic about what they actually do- I don't know if it's what I am looking for. Does anyone know how to get into this line of work without being law enforcement? The OP made it sound like he wasn't in LE.

Well, in the USA (and AFAIK in most countries) it is a criminal offence even if a non-LE, by pure chance, happens to find IIOC/CP during examination of a "private" case evidence and doesn't:
  1. Stop IMMEDIATELY to examine further the evidence
  2. Report IMMEDIATELY to the appropriate Authority
  3. Provide ALL COPIES of the evidence to the LE guys

See:
www.forensicfocus.com/...ic/t=1431/

jaclaz

jaclaz

Reply to topicReply to topic

Share and Like this forum topic to get more replies

Page 7 of 7
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7