±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 34193
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 147

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Can you help me breakdown this MP4 Metadata?

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Can you help me breakdown this MP4 Metadata?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:13 am

Hey guys,

For practice, I grabbed the metadata from an MP4 video file using MediaInfo. I want to understand as much of the data as I can, but there are some things I can't find out. I would like to post the fields that I don't understand. If anybody has any input on any of these fields, even if you can explain one of them, I'll be happy to learn.

Count : 284
Count of stream of this kind : 1
Kind of stream : General
Stream identifier : 0
Count of video streams : 1
Video_Format_List : AVC
Video_Format_WithHint_List : AVC
Codecs Video : AVC
Format/Extensions usually used : mp4 m4v m4a m4b m4p 3gpp 3gp 3gpp2 3g2 k3g jpm jpx mqv ismv isma f4v
Commercial name : MPEG-4
Format profile : Base Media
Internet media type : video/mp4
Codec ID : isom
Codec ID/Url : http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/standalone.html
Overall bit rate : 1732414
Overall bit rate : 1 732 Kbps
Stream size : 7774
Proportion of this stream : 0.00089
HeaderSize : 24
DataSize : 8688952
FooterSize : 7742
IsStreamable : No
Encoded date : UTC 2013-05-26 18:17:35
Tagged date : UTC 2013-05-26 18:17:35

I do understand header, data, and footer sizes, but I didn't want to leave these fields out since I like a good explanation if it's posted. Also, I do understand "Encoded date", but I kept that there because I don't understand the difference between this and "tagged date".

Thanks so much, it is very much appreciated.  

DigitalAgent

Re: Can you help me breakdown this MP4 Metadata?

Post Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:23 pm

- DigitalAgent
I want to understand as much of the data as I can, but there are some things I can't find out.

ISO/IEC 14496-14:2003 is the authoritative reference for this file format, possibly supplemented with some of the other 14496 documents to cover related MPEG-4 details. Yes, there is a price attached.

Also, I do understand "Encoded date", but I kept that there because I don't understand the difference between this and "tagged date".

For that, you will also need to take the actual creation software into account. Much the same as with ISO-formatted CDs or UDF-formatted DVD: the standard may stipulate one thing, but the software used may have done, or allowed the creator to do something different. You can't really say for sure unless you test it.  

athulin

Re: Can you help me breakdown this MP4 Metadata?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:08 pm

Actually, I don't know how to help you just share some information about AVC with you. AVC (Advanced Video Coding), aka H.264, is standard of video compression and block-oriented motion-compensation-based codec developed by the ITU-T Video Coding Experts Group (VCEG) together with the ISO/IEC Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG). It was the product of a partnership effort known as the Joint Video Team (JVT). The ITU-T H.264 standard and the ISO/IEC MPEG-4 AVC standard (formally, ISO/IEC 14496-10 - MPEG-4 Part 10, Advanced Video Coding) are jointly maintained so that they have identical technical content. AVC/H.264 is used for Blu-ray disc, YouTube videos, iTunes Store movies/videos, DVB broadcast, satellite television service, cable television services, and real-time video conference.  

Sweeper

Page 1 of 1