±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35770
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 122

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Driver Distraction Enforcement

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

jaclaz

Re: Driver Distraction Enforcement

Post Posted: Jan 16, 18 15:22

- RolfGutmann
1-out-of-3 is mobileing while driving low speed in-city.

Maybe.
Still you didn't answer my questions, in a nutshell;
1) how do you envision the technology?
2) In which way it will be effective in avoiding the distraction (and the consequent hitting and killing of the poor children)?

jaclaz

JDCoulthard

Post Posted: Jan 16, 18 19:03

I know this isn't an off the shelf product, but this project looks like it could be tailored to the kind of system you are talking about:

Hackaday Raspberry Pi Project  

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Jan 17, 18 10:15

Thank you! Good idea. If you are interested in our weDIY pls PM me.  

bostoncelltech

Post Posted: Jan 17, 18 12:37

Here in US (Specifically New York), the State government has began looking into ways to enforce distracted driving/texting while driving laws. To that end, Cellebrite is in the process of testing a "text-a-lyzer" (along the lines of a breathalyzer or roadside alcosensor) that would allow law enforcement to quickly access your device roadside (likely a limited logical extraction of sorts) and determine if you were texting or interacting with your mobile device at the time of violation of law (officer observes mobile usage, post crash or serious injury accident, pedestrian struck).

The issue here in the States is a legal one, which questions whether the police have the right to demand you produce your mobile phone for examination without a warrant. Currently, to access a mobile device, it would require consent of the owner or a search warrant issued by a judge/magistrate (call detail records currently only require a subpoena but that legal issue has gone back and forth in recent years and is currently being considered by the United States Supreme Court again) so under the current law, an officer would not be able to require the citizen to produce the phone for examination roadside. However, states are looking to modify the licensing law to compel drivers to submit their devices for examination if there is a reasonable suspicion that the motorist was using their mobile device while driving; much the same way the state requires a motorist to submit to field sobriety tests if the officer has reasonable suspicion to believe the motorist may be operating under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs. Although the citizen can refuse to perform such tests and any subsequent request to test their blood or breath to determine blood alcohol content, such refusal will result in the immediate revocation of their driving privileges for 1 year, regardless of whether they are found guilty of an underlying driving offenses that they may have been charged with. The submission of the mobile device, or refusal to do so, would likely follow under the same guidelines under current proposals.

In the case of the "text-a-lyzer" scenario though, there are serious additional privacy concerns that do not exist when discussing voluntary or involuntary submission of samples to determine blood alcohol content. Specifically, what would be visible to the officer when accessing the mobile device? What types/kinds of data is collected by the device? What if the device captures images or conversations that are sensitive? proprietary?

I realize much of the previous conversation was centered around the legal concerns with such technology but mostly I just wanted to convey that Cellebrite is actively working on a product for law enforcement here in the States.  

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Jan 17, 18 13:11

Cellebrite approach will fail.  

hcso1510

Post Posted: Jan 17, 18 17:04

So are we talking about a Bus company that transports children? Greyhound possibly? Over the road trucking companies? I personally don't see this as an issue as you know your being watched from the beginning and the company has a vested interest in reducing liability.

As far as consumers wanting these in their cars going forward I'd say that would be a "No Go."

Even if you had the assurance from the manufacturer that it was only capturing a 5 second loop and could not remotely be accessed I think the idea is DOA.

I'm not a cellular technology expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. 

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Jan 17, 18 18:48

To get access to the mobiles of masses to proof mobileing? Cellebrite are you kidding?

Our machine needs no access to the phone. No humans at work.  

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next