±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 7 Overall: 36105
New Yesterday: 9 Visitors: 145

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Proton Mail Acquisition

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

deeFIR

Re: Proton Mail Acquisition

Post Posted: Jul 29, 19 06:53

- passcodeunlock
Upgrading a free protonmail account to a paid account doesn't affect in any way the user content data.

A professional examiner would always comply to the rules, but it is really nice that deeFIR reminds everybody to do so Smile

Of course, I'm not suggesting that an examiner would be inept, but for me in our local jurisdiction it would be unlawful to do so without the account owner's consent.  

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 29, 19 16:39

That is just another sample of bureaucracy and bad judgement Smile

Let's say there is a child abusing case, with proof in a free protonmail account, without an acquisition possibility in a forensic way. The LE can't do nothing, because the account owner is not giving his consent ?! What a joke, no ?!
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jul 30, 19 09:48

- passcodeunlock
That is just another sample of bureaucracy and bad judgement Smile

Let's say there is a child abusing case, with proof in a free protonmail account, without an acquisition possibility in a forensic way. The LE can't do nothing, because the account owner is not giving his consent ?! What a joke, no ?!

Well, wouldn't in that case be simpler to use torture Shocked and have in a short time both the consent to access the protonmail account and a full, complete, confession of all crimes committed?

I would have a hard time calling the mechanisms (rules) preventing the above from happening "bureaucracy and bad judgement".

And there is - for the record - NO "proof" in a free protonmail account that you cannot access, at the most there is some suspects or reasonable possibilities of that "proof" to be there, which brings us back to the traditional way to ask a judge to allow the access.

jaclaz

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 30, 19 12:45

I never said that a prosecutor or a judge should not allow the access.

All I try is to point out that many times a criminal has way more rights then the LE because of bureaucracy and bad judgement.

@jaclaz: great about the torturing idea, I wonder how I didn't think of it before Smile
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jul 30, 19 13:55

- passcodeunlock

All I try is to point out that many times a criminal has way more rights then the LE because of bureaucracy and bad judgement.

Yep, but the point is exactly that a citizen (yet to be proved a criminal) has (or should have) a number of rights protected by the Law (or constitution, or universal declaration of rights, etc.) and theoretically the moment a LEO - for whatever reasons - believes that the Law (the very thing he/she is called to enforce) is just "bureaucracy and bad judgement" he/she should step down immediately (or be fired).

In a more coherent world the ex-officer should be additionally punished by depriving him/her of those same basic rights, but one of the good points of the Law is that those rights cannot be removed.

jaclaz

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 30, 19 14:21

@jaclaz: This is funny Smile Luckily I can have a private opinion without braking any laws Smile

We should end this and get back to the OP.

To make it short: unless there is a subpoena or court order to access the protonmail account in the needed way, the examiner can't do nothing.

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jul 30, 19 14:41

- passcodeunlock
can't do nothing.

At least on this side of the pond I think you need to choose among:
1) can do nothing
2) can't do anything

jaclaz

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next