±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 36449
New Yesterday: 6 Visitors: 207

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Release of Spider

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

keydet89

Re: Release of Spider

Post Posted: Oct 09, 06 23:30

I downloaded and installed the Windows version...and saw that it requires .NET. Eesh! What a pain!  

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 10, 06 00:59

Okay, what I meant by that was this...

Let's say I image a system, and then want to run Spider. I have to install .Net on the system.

Or, if I have LiveView and an image, I still have to install .Net, if the system doesn't already have it...which is many times the case.

So besides changing MAC times, you also have to deal with a 23.1MB download, and an installation.

In the big scheme of things, this is manageable, particularly if the answer is absolutely necessary. However, there has *got* to be an easier way...like having a command line version that you can install on Helix, or run from a CD, that doesn't require .Net...  

hogfly

Post Posted: Oct 10, 06 01:01

Harlan,
Indeed and the linux version meets that need.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 10, 06 01:36

Hogfly,

How so? I can't put the Linux version on a CD, put the CD into a live Windows system and use it.

No, one would have to image the drive, or mount it on a Linux system with a write-blocker.

I've seen some tools come out recently (First Response from Mandiant, for one) that require .Net...for no apparent reason. That requirement for Spider really reduces the usefulness of the tool.

I applaud the efforts of the folks who produced the tool, but the requirement for .Net is cumbersome and reduces its usefulness.  

hogfly

Post Posted: Oct 10, 06 01:46

Harlan,
I think I misinterpreted your previous post.

The linux version of the tool can run from the bootable side of Helix so you could image a system and run it from there, without using windows and installing .NET.

While .NET is cumbersome, the tool meets its intended use.

*shrug*  

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 10, 06 04:17

You're right, it does...but a 23.1MB download is going to overwrite a lot of sectors, and the installation is going to add Registry keys and perhaps modify files.  

az_gcfa

Post Posted: Oct 18, 06 09:48

Another possibility is run helix from laptop and remotely mount the drive via smb as readonly, noatime. That is provided the drive is setup as shared! Setting the drive up to be shared would be the lesser of the two evils - installing .NET.

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2