±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36115
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 165

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

(IN)Secure Magazine - Computer forensics vs. e-discovery

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

MindSmith

(IN)Secure Magazine - Computer forensics vs. e-discovery

Post Posted: Oct 18, 06 15:29

Available for free download from www.insecuremag.com/

Regards,

keydet89

Re: (IN)Secure Magazine - Computer forensics vs. e-discovery

Post Posted: Oct 18, 06 17:12

MindSmith,

What about it? Many of us know about the site and the e-mag...is there something specific about the article?

What are your thoughts on the article?  

MindSmith

Post Posted: Oct 19, 06 15:30

Apologies - It should have been posted in the 'Getting Started' forum & I should have put in an explanatory note that it provides a nice concise summary for those new to the field looking to explore the differences between the concepts of Forensics & E-Discovery.

Thanks for pointing that out.

Regards,

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 19, 06 16:18

This is one of the things I see in the community all the time...someone posts nothing more than a link. As a member of the community, I'd love to see/hear what others think, especially the person who found it interesting enough to post in the first place.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 19, 06 17:12

I went back and read through the article in question again, and it is a good description of the differences between computer forensics and e-discovery.

IMHO, if anyone comes up to you with a job offer and mentions "the exciting world of e-discovery", run! If you just want to run keyword searches over and over, and that's your thing...go for it!  

w47ty

Post Posted: Oct 26, 06 05:30

I thougt it was a good article, if a little brief. However I was disappointed that half of it was given over to regurgitating guidelines. A simple link would have sufficed (it is after all an online journal)

It is an interesting area at the moment because Ediscovery is very much the flavour of the month and is very often confused with Computer Forensics by many clients.

Harlan-i take your point about running for cover from the exciting world of Ediscovery. However an interesting point, Morgan Stanley in May 2005 had damages awarded against them for US$1.4 Billion, yes thats $1.4 billion!! for failing to conduct a satisfactory discovery process. I havent heard of anything quite that sizeable as a result of an issue with CF.

My point is, as I know you will ask what it is, is that there are or will be alot of people selling Ediscovery products and services at the expense of CF work and will be making a nice profit out of it I am sure. Of course I am not motivated by making lots of money myself but... Very Happy  

keydet89

Post Posted: Oct 26, 06 06:18

w47ty,

Oh, without a doubt! Pen testing was the "sexy" service of the '90s, and from here on out, CF and eDiscovery will be the same way.

Of course, like many, I have mortgages and bills, so earning a living is necessity...but eDiscovery really boils down to imaging vast amounts of data and running keyword searches. But then, I know a CF guy who would copy an image and put the copies into 6 different systems to run massive keyword searches in parallel...and play Quake on the 7th system. HHhhmmmm...maybe I should rethink my position, and sign up for an Unreal tournament...  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next