±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36228
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 125

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Suspect Determination Using Linguistic Analysis Techniques

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

MindSmith

Suspect Determination Using Linguistic Analysis Techniques

Post Posted: Oct 26, 06 15:01

I came accross this interesting story with an excellent paper describing how the above can be used in helping identify/determine/profile who the suspect is or is not; during investigations.

Definitely of value when looking at coporate investigations as the possible suspect pool is finite & determination using the above can be lengthy but can also yield very good info to help filter the 'chaff from the wheat' so to speak. Obviously very useful in other cases too. By no means fool proof or 100% accurate, but interesting nonetheless.

Story Here: hackersblog.itproportal.com/?p=390

Investigation whitepaper here: www.hackerfactor.com/p...n3td3v.pdf

Has anyone of FF used the above techniques? How successful were they?

Regards,

gmarshall139

Re: Suspect Determination Using Linguistic Analysis Techniqu

Post Posted: Oct 26, 06 17:00

That reminds me of a program my LE agency used to use for in-home incarceration. The subject would receive calls at random intervals from this computer program. It required that they repeat a series of words or numbers and analyzed the voice to determine if it was actually the subject.

debaser_

Post Posted: Oct 26, 06 18:09

- gmarshall139
That reminds me of a program my LE agency used to use for in-home incarceration. The subject would receive calls at random intervals from this computer program. It required that they repeat a series of words or numbers and analyzed the voice to determine if it was actually the subject.

Repeating a series of words would just analyze the voice itself. I think the previous post refers more to the words chosen and the grammar used. We are talking about written and not spoken word. A dumbed down example but think of color vs colour, or slang that is used in different geographic areas. As for factors which point to a certain gender, i do not know. This is very interesting though.  

dalec

Post Posted: Oct 27, 06 03:12

For what it's worth you may also want to take a look at:

www.securityfocus.com/news/11419

This researchers methodology is pretty much shot down by an actual forensic linguist.

Dale  

Page 1 of 1