±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 34282
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 164

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Forensic Data Recovery with ReclaiMe Pro

Discussions related to Forensic Focus webinars. Please use the appropriate topic for each webinar.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Go to page 1, 2  Next 

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 9:25 am

Please use this topic for discussion of the webinar

Presented by Elena Pakhomova, co-founder of ReclaiMe Data Recovery.
Twitter: twitter.com/ForensicFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/forensicfocus 

jamie
Site Admin

Re: Forensic Data Recovery with ReclaiMe Pro

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 2:45 pm

I am not sure why it is Forensic recovery rather than just recovery software.

I know I call my software 'forensic recovery', but this does include comprehensive logs of dates, files sizes, attributes, as well which sectors from the hard drive were used to make up the file. Thus fragmented files could be reconstructed from the log information. Files should also be hashed if you want the forensic label

Unless I am missing something, logs appear to be missing from the program along with 'F1' Help. The export function just handles names and dates in a non standard .CSV file.

mscotgrove

Forensic Data Recovery

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:21 pm

- mscotgrove
I am not sure why it is Forensic recovery rather than just recovery software.

I believe it's just a general practice of introducing a new product to an adjoining audience. I skimmed through the transcript and it's indeed more about data recovery.  

Dmitri

Post Posted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:41 pm

In answer to this point, and in all fairness to ReclaiMe, I added the word 'forensic' to the webinar title myself when uploading it to our YouTube channel (primarily in an attempt to clarify the intended audience). Any criticism - and I understand the point being made - should be aimed at me!

Jamie
Twitter: twitter.com/ForensicFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/forensicfocus 

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 7:34 am

- jamie
Any criticism - and I understand the point being made - should be aimed at me!

Good. Smile
You could have added to it somewhere "cyber", something like:
Forensic Data Recovery with ReclaiMe Pro for cyberprofessionals
or
CyberForensics: Data Recovery with ReclaiMe Pro

would have sounded more trendy Wink , utterly wrong Shocked , but more "modern". Very Happy

jaclaz

jaclaz

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:17 pm

Hello,

While I admit that data recovery and computer forensic are different fields, they are still closely related to each other. Computer forensics software in general are designed to retrieve and analyze data from healthy, or slightly damaged filesystems. On the contrary, data recovery software like ReclaiMe Pro aims to extract all the data possible even from severely damaged filesystems, including after whatever deletion attempts might have been made. While success rate varies, data recovery software would typically produce more results when more effort was spent to get rid of the data.

More than that, many already widely used filesystems, like ReFS or BTRFS, are still not supported by forensic tools, not to mention RAID/NAS reconstruction. Therefore, data extraction in such cases is possible only with more data recovery than forensic software.  

ReclaiMe

Post Posted: Thu May 14, 2015 1:05 pm

- ReclaiMe
Computer forensics software in general are designed to retrieve and analyze data from healthy, or slightly damaged filesystems. On the contrary, data recovery software like ReclaiMe Pro aims to extract all the data possible even from severely damaged filesystems, including after whatever deletion attempts might have been made. While success rate varies, data recovery software would typically produce more results when more effort was spent to get rid of the data.

With due respect, your contrast between forensic vs data recovery software misses the point. The features Mr. Cotgrove describes refer to the necessity in forensics that results meet a legal standard of reliability. That reliability is bolstered by the process being logged, and the results repeatable and verifiable. Irrespective of whether the subject file system is slightly or severely damaged, forensic software should produce sufficient metadata for an examiner to reconstruct the results even if using a different tool. Ultimately, it is the expert's opinion that counts, not the tool.

Please understand that none of this is intended to diminish the value of ReclaiMe, but in forensics, we don't like black boxes.

TuckerHST

Page 1 of 2
Go to page 1, 2  Next