±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 33043
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 164

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

computer forensics (law enforcement) career questions

Discussion of computer forensics employment and career issues.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

computer forensics (law enforcement) career questions

Post Posted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:25 pm

I am currently studying computer science and I am planning on going on to study computer forensics with the goal of one day working as a computer forensic analyst in law enforcement (NCA etc) in the uk. Is it necessary for me first to become a police officer for a few years or will a lot of experience in a computer forensic related area be enough to get this job? Which would be the University offers the best computer forensics course? Thanks  

jaccards

Re: computer forensics (law enforcement) career questions

Post Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:30 am

- jaccards
I am currently studying computer science

Something like this?
www.griffith.ie/facult...ng-science

- jaccards
I am planning on going on to study computer forensics

So you have the next goal of going to the same or another Uni for the study of computer forensics?
www.forensicfocus.com/...ion-europe

- jaccards
one day working as a computer forensic analyst in law enforcement (NCA etc) in the uk.

The end game is to work somewhere like here?
www.nationalcrimeagency.gov.uk/
www.bluelinejobs.co.uk/roles/police

- jaccards
Is it necessary for me first to become a police officer

1) If you look through any career's advertisement for a job it should state clearly whether the applicant is required to have previous law enforcement experience as a serving (or past) law enforcement officer etc.

2) Have a look at this NCA career's advertisement and determine for yourself whether the post only requires a serving or past law enforcement officer?
www.civilservicejobs.s...de=1470841

3) Have you written to any agencies to ask for their public statement on recruiting civilian employees in computer forensics? This question particularly does not require you to ask a forum member but ask the agency who you think you would like to seek employment.

- jaccards
or will a lot of experience in a computer forensic related area be enough to get this job?

No employer is obliged or can guarantee to employ because a person is/was in law enforcement or has loads of computer forensics experience.

In this fast moving modern digital miracle world we live experience is a far better bet, because it is the obligation of an employer to teach you the rules, regulations and procedures in a civilian employee post in a public agency.

As an observation combine a search of all employment advertisements here at Forensic Focus and at the agencies you would like to work and identify the common experiences they are seeking in a candidate.

Also, be aware that some vacancy advertisements tend to go over the top and over state qualifications or experiences that are unrealistic - see

www.forensicfocus.com/...c/t=13579/
www.forensicfocus.com/...p=6580776/

Updated: Employment or Computer Forensics Course 2016 - trewmte.blogspot.co.uk...puter.html

Good luck
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

trewmte

Page 1 of 1