±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36290
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 181

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

UK Degree Courses

Computer forensics training and education issues. If you are looking for topic suggestions for your project, thesis or dissertation please post here rather than the general discussion forum.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

fatrabbit

Re: UK Degree Courses

Post Posted: Oct 04, 05 12:37

The course at Stafford only has three forensics related modules in four years. As I said in my earlier post, the problem isn't finding a course, it's finding a good course.

KittyDoll

Post Posted: Oct 04, 05 14:11

While I do agree that this doesn’t offer you the clear cut answer you want; one can deduce the universities with a higher ranking offer to a point a better quality of course taking into consideration the various factors used to compile the rankings. After all Imperial College, York & Oxford, all internationally recognised top universities, and didn’t get to the top of the ranking by teaching their graduates how to grate cheese. Smile

To clarify:
This list was posted here in the interest of saving forum space with another topic on the search for information and commentary on various institutions. And followed with a request for further information and comment on those listed as well as names of any other institutions which offered the like.

- KittyDoll

This list is WIP & does not include Universities offering specific Postgraduate courses in computer forensics.

Anyone offering any first hand comments of the above courses? or have any uni's to add?

It takes a little research & consideration:
- both of the reputations of the various institutes of higher learning and the various aspects of the courses offered by them.
- of the specific fields within the industry and the requirements there of to find which most interests you.
- of your financial situation, whether you can afford to study at the institution of you choice
- whether or not you first choice will accept you, if not the selection of a secondary choice, or perhaps even a secondary field of interest.

No one is going to give you a definite answer, only commentary & guidance. The choice will always come down to you. And that takes a little bit of effort.  

fatrabbit

Post Posted: Oct 04, 05 15:17

I'm well aware that higher ranked institutions offer a better calibre of course and level of instruction, unfortunately not everyone will be in the position to apply to Oxford or uproot and transplant their lives to the opposite end of the country. My problem of finding a good course isn’t a research ability deficit, rather a geographical one. And as you pointed out your post was an invitation to comment on courses and institutions, and in the case of Stafford University that’s what I did.

cgpa1

Post Posted: Oct 05, 05 13:44

- fatrabbit
The course at Stafford only has three forensics related modules in four years. As I said in my earlier post, the problem isn't finding a course, it's finding a good course.

Universities have a fine balance when developing courses and it is sometimes difficult in ensuring both a broad and specific content coverage that will ensure students have the best opportunity of finding employment. The BSc (Hons) Computer Forensics at Northumbria University has six related forensic modules over the four years.

Year 1:
Computer Forensics, Criminology and Criminal Justice.

Year 2:
Principles of Computer Forensics.
Computer Forensic Applications.

Year 3: Placement Year.

Year 4:
Advanced Computer Forensics.
Computer Forensic Case Projects.
Legal and Evidentiary Aspects of Computer Forensics.

I am a Senior Lecturer and helped developed the degree programme and currently teach on the Computer Forensics, Criminology and Criminal Justice module. The information about the course on the University website is incorrect therefore if you have any questions or want further information about the course or module content send me an e-mail to philip.anderson @ northumbria.ac.uk.

Does anyone know of any European Universities offering similar Computer Forensic Degree's? I would be interested in links and collaboration.  

Juniper

Post Posted: Oct 17, 05 13:51

I have just started my second year on the Secure and Forensics course at the University of Huddersfield.

There are only two of us on it as we are the first ones to do it. It slants heavily towards Software Development which is OK because it gives you very solid ideas on how Hackers develop software to break into systems, but very difficult simply because you are doing alot of programming.

Much of the Forensic related knowledge comes from self study, the problem is, in my opinion, the prohibitive expense of "recognised" Software like Encase. The good thing is that we do have the power to choose what sort of stuff we want to study in certain modules.

The real forensic stuff comes in the placement and final year.

I would be interested in swapping notes (unfortunately not much in terms of Forensics stuff) , ideas, etc please fell free to contact me via email :

c0418941 @ hud.ac.uk

cgpa1 - I would be grateful if I could look at some of the stuff you teach or any recommended module reading? Very Happy

Thanks in Advance

juniper  

fatrabbit

Post Posted: Oct 17, 05 14:56

cgpa1, I would also be grateful if you could post some kind of recommended reading list for your course.

cgpa1

Post Posted: Oct 17, 05 20:14

For the 1st year module Computer Forensics, Criminology and Criminal Justice we recommend Britz, M. J. (2004) Computer Forensics and Cyber Crime; an Introduction. Pearson Prentice Hall although this maybe a bit basic for some.

Other books for the rest of the year long module include.

Croall, H. (1998) Crime and Society in Britain, Longman.

Marsh, I. (2004) Criminal Justice. Longman.

Newburn, T. (2002) Crime and Criminal Justice Policy Longman

Padfield, N. (2000) Text and Materials on Criminal Justice 2nd edition, Butterworths

Stephens, M. (2000) Crime and Social Policy: Gildredge Social Policy, The Gildredge Press

Wasik, M. Gibbons, T and Redmayne, M. (1999) Criminal Justice: Texts and
Materials, Longman

Philip  

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next