±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35535
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 149

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i screen unlock ideas ?

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

passcodeunlock

Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i screen unlock ideas ?

Post Posted: Jul 17, 16 22:00

I got a physically damaged Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i phone with unknown password screen lock. Previously the LE tried to make a physical image of it with UFED, but the process initialization failed for some reason. The failure could be related maybe to the physical damage of the phone ?!

The phone screen is cracked, but it is responsive. I tried a dictionary attack on it, containing names and numbers, but I had no luck with it. After each 5 bad tries 30 seconds delay is implemented. I could bruteforce with all combinations of characters and numbers, but all combinations would take too much time.

Does anybody have any idea how to unlock the screen password or bypass the screen lock somehow for this phone model ?
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

Igor_Michailov

Re: Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i screen unlock ideas ?

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 00:09

I am not sure, what bruteforce is good idea. I know about several cases when an investigator tried to use bruteforce, all data were erased from mobile devices.
I recommend to use chip off. And I can do it for you.

linkedin.com/in/igormikhaylovcf 

redcat

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 00:29

- passcodeunlock
I got a physically damaged Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830i phone with unknown password screen lock. Previously the LE tried to make a physical image of it with UFED, but the process initialization failed for some reason. The failure could be related maybe to the physical damage of the phone ?!

The phone screen is cracked, but it is responsive

I'd be surprised if Cellebrite can't bypass that - I've had plenty of success with pin locked Android based Samsungs, including handsets in bad physical state. If it's alive and the screen's responding it will go eventually, I would keep trying the bootloader/PIN bypass. I can take a look tomorrow and see for sure whether that handset will work when I'm back in the lab.  

Igor_Michailov

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 00:35

- redcat

I'd be surprised if Cellebrite can't bypass that - I've had plenty of success with pin locked Android based Samsungs, including handsets in bad physical state. If it's alive and the screen's responding it will go eventually, I would keep trying the bootloader/PIN bypass. I can take a look tomorrow and see for sure whether that handset will work when I'm back in the lab.

Owner of the phone can lock bootloader.

linkedin.com/in/igormikhaylovcf 

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 00:55

- redcat

Thanks! I was told that the phone is supported by UFED for physical dump, just the physical dumping process fails at initialization. Also, UFED is not supporting screen unlocking for this model. Let me know if you find tomorrow anything useful.
Apple passcode unlock + decrypted filesystem dump, Android user locks unlock + physical dump with decrypted userdata partition. We provide our services world-wide, but we reserve the right for choosing which tasks we take and which we deny! 

passcodeunlock

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 01:05

- Igor_Michailov
I am not sure, what bruteforce is good idea. I know about several cases when an investigator tried to use bruteforce, all data were erased from mobile devices.
I recommend to use chip off. And I can do it for you.

Ok, I PM you, I don't want to flood the forum with details.

arcaine2

Post Posted: Jul 18, 16 01:42

Flashing custom recovery via ODIN should be enough. That model doesn't come with locked bootloader.
In fact, i think that S5830i is able to switch from stock recovery to custom recovery via .zip file on microSD card so not even flashing required.
Once you'll have that, adb as root should be working and cracking the code or removing it at this point is easy. If, for some reason adb wouldn't work, you should be able to create a CWM compatible backup and extract the files required to cracking the code from that.

forum.xda-developers.c...?t=2649491  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next