±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 5 Overall: 36758
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 160

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Zip Files

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

chris2792

Re: Zip Files

Post Posted: May 04, 07 16:05

- mark777
It appears PRTK is unable to deal with zip files with more than one password involved

Perhaps that's an issue of Winzip. Winzip let you enter a password once, then every operation will be done using that password until the archive is closed.

If you have a ZIP-Archive with 2 different passwords you'll have to extract one file, close the archive, reopen it and extract the other file.  

mitch

Post Posted: May 04, 07 18:36

Mark

If the suspect has taken any photos of CP himself, have you sieze all digital cameras, because if you have the memory cards, you could tie up the camera with the images via EXIF info. (dont mean to be rude but hey ive know it to be missed)

also pm you mark

Simon  

_nik_

Post Posted: May 04, 07 19:54

- mark777

I am a bit concerned as to why, with so many illegal in clear view, these are protected.

Yes - that's a valid concern. I'm glad you are persisting!

- mark777

Each of the 110 jpg files are themselves password protected but not with the same one as the zip file.

When you look at the zip file are the file names there in plain text?
Are there other files than the 110 pics in there?

A possibility would be to edit the zip file so that you only have the files that you can not access in there. Then run PRTK on it.  

gmarshall139

Post Posted: May 04, 07 23:25

Mark,

Keep up the good work. I will be glad to help you in any way I can. I'm glad to see you going the extra mile on a case such as this. I've had good results with Visual Zip Password Recovery Processor. It allows you to import your FTK generated word lists.

www.zipcure.com

It may be worth a try, I used it to crack 4 simple passwords in seconds.

mark777

Post Posted: May 05, 07 04:13

Chris.

It is a strange way of opening this file. When you try to open the zip file (double click etc) you are immediately presented with a password box. It is only when you put the password in that the normal zip window opens and the files contained within the zip file are presented. When you try to open any of the files displayed in the zip window you are asked for another password, in fact any operation on those files requires the password to be entered for anything to happen. All the files in the zip archive are passworded.

Mitch

Thanks mate, already sorted.Have got the camera and sorted that with the illegal ones he has taken with it that I have recovered. That is one of my concerns. He has taken (obviously until convicted that is allegedly taken) Cat 1 with the camera and they are unprotected so what are the ones he has protected liable to be.

NIK

110 files in the archive, all show .jpg extension and all have the little asterix beside them to show encrypted just as you would expect really. they are the only ones in the archive. File name is in plain text.

Greg

Thanks for the kind comments and advice about the software. Will def give it a try next week when I am back at work.

Looks like it will be a case of charging on the thousands we have but at least I will get thechance to ask him the password. Once i have it I suppose it will be easier to figure out for future reference.

Many thanks to everyone for the advice. Will keep trying when I can between jobs etc and post any results if and when I get them.

annodomini1969

Post Posted: May 05, 07 21:32

[quote="_nik_"]
- mark777

I am a bit concerned as to why, with so many illegal in clear view, these are protected.

Yes - that's a valid concern. I'm glad you are persisting!

-----------

Should I even take a stab at this one or is this not the place for psychobabble?  

Andy

Post Posted: May 06, 07 13:07

Mark, we have DNA running on a network. If you want I can give it a try for you?

Andy  

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next