±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35390
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 119

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

EnCase Portable

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

L_F123

EnCase Portable

Post Posted: Nov 15, 17 13:08

Hi All,

I was hoping someone could tell me if the tool Encase portable still exists and whether it is still supported.

I am doing research for my dissertation and am trying to investigate current tools for triaging information from a hard drive.

Thanks

Luke  

mansiu

Re: EnCase Portable

Post Posted: Nov 15, 17 22:53

- L_F123
Hi All,

I was hoping someone could tell me if the tool Encase portable still exists and whether it is still supported.

I am doing research for my dissertation and am trying to investigate current tools for triaging information from a hard drive.

Thanks

Luke

EnCase portable is still there.  

jpickens

Post Posted: Nov 16, 17 09:00

Yes & No.

EnCase portable is no longer sold as a dongle. Mainly because it is no longer bootable. Only older, legacy portables have this capability and those are probably rare. This is because Microsoft stopped providing bootable versions of XP to vendors a few years back.

You can create your own though by running the EnCase Portable enscript that comes with v7 or newer. It loads a portable version of EnCase to a USB drive for use. Its still handy, but not as it used to be. The User guide has instructions.  

L_F123

Post Posted: Nov 16, 17 09:49

- jpickens
Yes & No.

EnCase portable is no longer sold as a dongle. Mainly because it is no longer bootable. Only older, legacy portables have this capability and those are probably rare. This is because Microsoft stopped providing bootable versions of XP to vendors a few years back.

You can create your own though by running the EnCase Portable enscript that comes with v7 or newer. It loads a portable version of EnCase to a USB drive for use. Its still handy, but not as it used to be. The User guide has instructions.

That is great thank you for clearing that up for me Very Happy  

Kenobyte

Post Posted: Nov 16, 17 13:10

What exactly were you interested in with respect to triaging information from a hard drive? If you don't mind sharing. Also have you looked at the bootable version of OSForensics it also has a built in triage tool.  

L_F123

Post Posted: Nov 17, 17 11:00

- Kenobyte
What exactly were you interested in with respect to triaging information from a hard drive? If you don't mind sharing. Also have you looked at the bootable version of OSForensics it also has a built in triage tool.

Hi,

I'm currently performing my initial research for my dissertation and am looking at the use of an SBC for use within a forensic investigation. Triaging of data or using hash lists to compare files on a device to known files is the main area I am looking at for the project.

LF  

Page 1 of 1