±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36317
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 118

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Why You Should Hire a DF Professional for Criminal Cases

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

tracedf

Re: Why You Should Hire a DF Professional for Criminal Cases

Post Posted: Jan 02, 18 21:31

- keydet89

How do clients in the private sector determine the quality of work done? How do lawyers determine the quality of the work performed by those they hire?

Short of having their expert embarrassed in court, I'm not sure. And, that's probably why they continue to use people who are not trained. They have no way to see the difference unless they get challenged in court and lose.  

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Jan 02, 18 21:43

The question is how you find a top DF Professional?

And ordinary people cannot afford a top expert.  

tracedf

Post Posted: Jan 02, 18 21:48

- keydet89
Sworn officers have too many other requirements that they have to meet, just to maintain proficiency in their jobs.

There's also a tendency to assign people to the computer investigations unit with no regard for their technical skills. There were a couple of detectives in the intro forensics class that I took with Guidance Software who had no background in computers/IT and were attending two weeks of training with the expectation that they would be handling computer forensics examinations when they returned. That's a hell of a learning curve to expect from someone.

There are a lot of good digital forensics people with a badge; I'm not trying to disparage them. But, providing a little bit of training to an officer and expecting them to be experts without providing the time and support to really develop those skills is just dumb.

Going back to your point that officers have too many other requirements to meet, I agree. makes more sense to have dedicated forensic examiners (internal or external) who can work alongside the detectives and be 100% focused on their forensics skills.

Side question: How long do you think it would take, on average, to develop an interested person with minimal tech skills into a competent examiner?  

RolfGutmann

Post Posted: Jan 02, 18 22:05

A little bit of training is for nothing. It has to be your true love.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Jan 02, 18 22:35

- RolfGutmann
The question is how you find a top DF Professional?

And ordinary people cannot afford a top expert.

How do you know?

I don't consider myself a top DF professional, but I've done pro bono work in several instances. Some was pretty straight-forward...recover files from a hard drive of a system that would no longer boot.

In another instance I did pro bono work for a court case, and my report was used to get charges dismissed.

Some people don't need a 'top expert', they just need the work done accurately.  

keydet89

Post Posted: Jan 02, 18 22:42

- tracedf
There's also a tendency to assign people to the computer investigations unit with no regard for their technical skills.

I've seen that, as well. I used to teach a course when I worked for a company in Reston, VA, and two seats in the intro course were given to detectives in a nearby LE jurisdiction. One showed up, and had no idea how to open a command prompt. He made the mistake of closing the prompt when he thought we were done, and had to be shown how to do it again. It wasn't that he couldn't learn, it was just so outside of his familiarity.

But, at the same time, I've seen the same thing with folks assigned to performing exams in the private sector, as well. I've also seen a great deal where some really smart folks would be sent to a training event, only to spend all of their time on email, slack, or some other form of social media, and neither pick up nor contribute anything.

- tracedf
Side question: How long do you think it would take, on average, to develop an interested person with minimal tech skills into a competent examiner?

It depends...how "interested" are they, and what is considered "competent"? I would think that if you were to say, starting with Windows 7 or Windows 10, you could turn someone who's interested into a competent examiner on that platform (not including specific applications) in a week of dedicated effort.  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Jan 03, 18 07:48

- keydet89
I don't consider myself a top DF professional

Off topic, but I respectfully disagree (not with your opinion of yourself, that can be whatever you want, but that you are not a top DF professional is what I disagree with)  

Page 2 of 4
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next