±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36459
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 164

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Is Apple IOS health data encrypted

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

badgerau

Is Apple IOS health data encrypted

Post Posted: Jan 10, 18 18:57

According to this story, investigators in Germany were able to recover the "health data" from an Apple iPhone to prove that the suspect had climbed stairs, which in turn disproved his statements that he had not. The investigators replicated this at the scene using another phone.

I was under the impression that the Health Data was encrypted and my question is has anyone else been able to extract this data using Cellebrite or any other tool?

www.welt.de/vermischte...solet.html

Google Translate version -https://translate.google.com.au/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.welt.de%2Fvermischtes%2Farticle172287105%2FMordprozess-Hussein-K-Die-Version-vom-Handeln-im-Affekt-ist-mit-dem-heutigen-Tag-obsolet.html&edit-text=  

mcman

Re: Is Apple IOS health data encrypted

Post Posted: Jan 10, 18 19:21

Most of the health and geolocation data for iOS need full file system access which typically means jailbreak but you could go the low tech way and just look at the phone and read the health data off of it. Screenshots have been used many times before.

Jamie  

mcman

Post Posted: Jan 10, 18 19:25

Sarah Edwards covers a lot of it here, not encrypted, just not as easy to get to:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6cSiHpvboI  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Jan 10, 18 19:27

The article hints that *somehow* the Munich firm specialized in this stuff managed to "crack" the phone and get access to it.

If this is the case, then seemingly the data was simply read, not encrypted, on the device.

jaclaz

badgerau

Post Posted: Jan 10, 18 19:36

Thanks Jamie, I will revisit Sarah's stuff.

I think the reference to cracking the phone was in reference to the pin code, which the suspect refused to give up. The article mentions that it took a few months, which leads me to believe that the pin code was cracked by Cellebrite CAIS or similar.  

ItsLily

Post Posted: Jan 11, 18 18:34

Here's Sara Edward's presentation sheet that she uses so you can navigate to the healthdb stuff:
github.com/mac4n6/Pres...162016.pdf

The steps, meters, flights climbed are pretty dead on. You might have to link the healthdb.sqlite and healthdb_secure.sqlite databases together, and multiple tables, to get the information you're looking for. The "samples" and "quantity_samples" tables inside healthdb_secure.sqlite are the two youre probably looking for, but others will have to be linked to give more context.

As far as if it's encrypted, using a method 1 on cellebrite with their standard encrypted backup let me view these databases with no issues.  

badgerau

Post Posted: Jan 11, 18 20:25

Thanks "ItsLily"  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next