±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36595
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 97

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Combine/Concatenate video clips that overlaps recording.

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

dpathan

Combine/Concatenate video clips that overlaps recording.

Post Posted: Sep 19, 18 23:21

I have multiple small video clips that needs to be stitched together. The problem is that each clips overlaps each other (has recording of couple seconds from previous clip at the beginning of next clip). The clips are from an old dvr which recorded motion and normal video in seperate clips. the motion overlaps with normal recording clips.
I am looking for a tool or script that can automatically combine the clips by pulling timestamp from the frames and place it in a timeline. Two tracks should be enough.

for e.g
clip 1 starts 12:00:01 am ends 12:06:05 am
clip 2 starts 12:05:45 am ends 12:09:00 am.

need a tool to export one clip from 12:00:01 to 12:09:00.

Other thing we can use is to join and trim using timestamps in filename. The file names have start and end timecode on it. If there is a script using ffmpeg, we can create a sequence of 1 hour and start placing video by a time with reference of that 1 hour sequence.

I have already analyzed recording on HDD and latest dvr firmware. The embedded player in firmware does merge and play these seperate together but it doesn't have functionality to export as such.

Any other ideas are welcome.  

MDCR

Re: Combine/Concatenate video clips that overlaps recording.

Post Posted: Sep 20, 18 14:34

Any modern video editing software should be able to truncate the start and end of each clip.  

dpathan

Post Posted: Sep 20, 18 18:31

I was looking for something that would automate the truncate based on csv/txt input. There is over 1000 clips for 6 hr video.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 21, 18 09:17

Is the overlapping constant?
Is each clip the same duration?
Do they have already an order?

I mean, can you trim each video by stripping n seconds at the end (or from the beginning of the n+1) and then stitch the result together?

Something loosely along the lines of:
superuser.com/question...merge-back
superuser.com/question...t-up-video
superuser.com/question...reencoding

Also:
markheath.net/post/cut...ith-ffmpeg

This would probably do as a base (Bash/Linux):
www.jeffgeerling.com/b...-timelapse
(of course you need not to speed up the video)

On windows, depending on the camera/format of the video, this seems like would do as well:
registratorviewer.net/...es_en.html
though you should get it from here:
dashcamtalk.com/forum/...ows.27756/
The developer has passed away and there are issues with expired web hosting/domains, the above version should work fine with the Registry modification.

jaclaz

dpathan

Post Posted: Sep 22, 18 18:30

@jaclaz Thankyou for the reply. Unfortunately the video length and the overlapping is not constant. There is no pattern to it as well. Only help is the timestamp in file names. I exported the timestamp to csv and was able to calculate the overlapping duration of each clip in excel.

This way, I am hoping if any experienced ffmpeg programmer can write a script that can read the truncate duration from the file while concatenating. I know how to input the list of filenames to concatenate and set a constant duration to cut the clip. Trying to see if somehow that constant duration can be changed to variable based on the csv input.

However, I will try the Registrator viewer and check its funcationality. Thankyou for the suggestion.

Peace.  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Sep 22, 18 19:14

- dpathan
@jaclaz Thankyou for the reply. Unfortunately the video length and the overlapping is not constant. There is no pattern to it as well. Only help is the timestamp in file names. I exported the timestamp to csv and was able to calculate the overlapping duration of each clip in excel.

This way, I am hoping if any experienced ffmpeg programmer can write a script that can read the truncate duration from the file while concatenating. I know how to input the list of filenames to concatenate and set a constant duration to cut the clip. Trying to see if somehow that constant duration can be changed to variable based on the csv input.

However, I will try the Registrator viewer and check its funcationality. Thankyou for the suggestion.

Peace.

Well, if you have the data in Excel is not that difficult to build in Excel a ffmpeg command, one per line, to cut the overlapping from each file, and execute them sequentially instead of a FOR loop.

Post just a few filenames (let's say five or six) as they are.

jaclaz

MDCR

Post Posted: Sep 22, 18 20:29

If you have a 10 second clip, this cuts of 1 second from the start and the end:

Code:
ffmpeg -i test.avi -ss 00:00:01 -to 00:00:09 test_cut.avi

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next