±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36764
New Yesterday: 9 Visitors: 125

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Metadata Interrogator

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 

MI_creator

Re: Metadata Interrogator

Post Posted: Dec 21, 19 13:48

- Mobo
Hi,
That's a great tool you've created there. Thank you.
I've had a play with it from various file types of my own that I know the history of.
On all the (Word) Docs it gives a "Creation Date" and "Created" row.
In all cases the former shows 01.01.1980 00:00.00hrs and the latter gives me the times/date I created my document - precisely.
Can you tell me the intended difference between the two?
Thanks again.

Apologies for the delay,
Word metadata is a bit of a pain - it has a few fields which are just 'default' ones. Every Word doc will have 01.01.1980 00:00.00hr as the Created date, as it's just saved in the metadata of every file (unless it's been overwritten specifically). I have no idea why, and it annoys me greatly.

Anyway, I've tried to get round this in a few ways - in the latest version (0.8) of Metadata Interrogator you'll see a row that says *Creation Date. This is a calculated date which tries to pick the best 'creation date' for a file. It does this by ignoring any default dates, and picking the earliest date in any of the creation metadata fields. Be warned it's not perfect, so make sure to double check yourself.

Dates and times are unfortunately one of the most difficult and unsure parts of dealing with metadata, which is frustrating as it should be some of the most useful data. Hope that helps!  

Page 3 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3