±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35244
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 133

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Mobile Forensic

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Quanz

Mobile Forensic

Post Posted: Mar 11, 19 15:59

Good day forensic world. I am doing a forensic investigation on Nextplus messenger and call application. Nextplus contains a database named nextplus.db which contains the author_id for SMS in a cryptic form resembling a MD5 hash value. This hash value is constant throughout and is used as the sender however the recipient telephone number is received and known. I am trying to ascertain how to find the telephone number which matches the MD5 value.  

athulin

Re: Mobile Forensic

Post Posted: Mar 12, 19 00:37

- Quanz
I am trying to ascertain how to find the telephone number which matches the MD5 value.

What time constraints are you working under? Does it matter if it takes five years to find that number? One year?

The 'correct' way is to set up the application using different telephone numbers, and see how they change the hash value, and correlate those findings with known hashings methods. Or, perhaps, to do a reverse engineering attack on the application -- but that may be expensive.

If you are law enforcement or have similar standing, you might be able to ask the manufacturer for information.

Guessing is a possibility, but you as it won't ensure that you get a correct answer in the time available, I ignore that 'method'.  

Quanz

Post Posted: Mar 13, 19 06:09

Thank you for you reply, good suggestions. Time is relative however, in this case its measured. I will contact manufacture hopefully with some success, nevertheless will do some testing within my department and see where my options takes me.  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Mar 14, 19 02:24

create some test data
throw it up online somewhere
ask for help

there may be a small chance that people will be able to assist, but it's practically zero without any of the above
similarly, please share your findings somewhere.  

Page 1 of 1