±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36783
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 1124

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Encase how to recover broken excel files

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

watcher

Re: Encase how to recover broken excel files

Post Posted: Apr 01, 19 16:06

- irfanion
... the suspect's laptop are using SSD. ... Encase only give me the names of the file, and when i try to recover excel for instance, it cannot be opened. Files are damaged. ...
I also try to recover using free online excel recover tools and it does'nt help.

If the laptop was running a properly functioning TRIM with the SSD (surprisingly many don't), you're unlikely to recover the deleted file contents.

Your best bet was already posted:

- keydet89
Volume Shadow Copies?

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^  

irfanion

Post Posted: Apr 02, 19 02:31

- watcher
- irfanion
... the suspect's laptop are using SSD. ... Encase only give me the names of the file, and when i try to recover excel for instance, it cannot be opened. Files are damaged. ...
I also try to recover using free online excel recover tools and it does'nt help.

If the laptop was running a properly functioning TRIM with the SSD (surprisingly many don't), you're unlikely to recover the deleted file contents.

Your best bet was already posted:

- keydet89
Volume Shadow Copies?

^^^^^^^^ This ^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know it's not easy if the medium is SSD, so i try to ask for help here and other forum. Hope i can get some revelation Smile

Yes, already tried that. Found the files, still can't be opened. File damaged/corrupted. I've tried to open it as zip, and extract the xml. It is broken. Thanks for your input though.

What's bothering me is that the suspect delete those files at 3/21 at midnight, we do the acquisition 3/22 in the evening. I'm quite sure he's not tech savvy doesn't know about anti forensic and so on..  

jaclaz

Post Posted: Apr 02, 19 10:23

- irfanion

Yes, already tried that. Found the files, still can't be opened. File damaged/corrupted. I've tried to open it as zip, and extract the xml. It is broken. Thanks for your input though.

And AGAIN "damaged/corrupted" or "failed to open as zip" may still (or it may not) mean that a given file is (totally or partially) recoverable.

How many different zip recovery tools have you run without results on these files?
0, 1 or 5?

jaclaz

watcher

Post Posted: Apr 02, 19 14:40

- irfanion
... Yes, already tried that. Found the files, still can't be opened. File damaged/corrupted. I've tried to open it as zip, and extract the xml. It is broken. ...

By "that", I assume you mean "Shadow Copies"?

Out of curiosity, how many shadow versions did you find?
What were their associated dates?

Were they all corrupt?  

sandra142

Fix Broken Excel file Issue Occurred Due To Corruption Error

Post Posted: Dec 05, 19 06:25

Broken Excel file issue generally occurs due to some corruption error encountered in Excel workbook. Well opening of such damaged or corrupt Excel file is possible by making use of Open and Repair, Excel AutoBackup and Excel AutoRecover feature, and through several other options.

Read on to know how to fix “Failed To Parse The Corrupted Excel File” error to resolve broken excel file issue. Wink  

nightworker

Post Posted: Dec 05, 19 07:59

excel is a zip file contains xml data so that use raw recovery zip and expand compound files. inside compunds search xml body for excel  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2