±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36779
New Yesterday: 2 Visitors: 110

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

restore original logon password on Apple Mac

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2 

InThought

Re: restore original logon password on Apple Mac

Post Posted: Oct 25, 19 12:48

You've touched on a couple of my concerns... is my money going to work for me or am I throwing it out the door? Maximizing my chance of success is key! I appreciate the suggestions.

I used Carbon Copy Cloner to image the drive to an external. I'll do some research on the two products and give cudos if and/or when the task is accomplished.

Thanks again!  

randomaccess

Post Posted: Oct 26, 19 08:06

General process would be to generate a word list based on strings from the computer. (index it in a forensic tool and then extract that to a file)

Review emails for passwords sent by websites. There might be a theme

Review password storage locations in browsers, you may get lucky but they're probably in the keychain. So square 1

Elcomsoft and passware both have tools but you're left to brute forcing (hopefully based on your strings output) and then if comes down to luck. There's no guarantees way that I know of to bypass the encryption apple uses on their keychain. Dictionary and brute force is pretty much it.  

InThought

Post Posted: Oct 26, 19 15:19

Thanks, I'm leaning towards Elcomsof and have years of data to pull together a list  

Page 2 of 2
Page Previous  1, 2