±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36595
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 129

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Analyst Workstation - What are you using?

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

minime2k9

Re: Analyst Workstation - What are you using?

Post Posted: Jan 21, 20 08:43

- Rich2005
......but, as I say, if you're on dual xeons and 128GB of RAM, you're pushing the machine into another price bracket almost certainly <insert green-eyed-monster smiley here>.

True, it would be helpful if OP had a rough price guide as well.  

skyccord

Post Posted: Jan 21, 20 19:57

- minime2k9
- Rich2005
......but, as I say, if you're on dual xeons and 128GB of RAM, you're pushing the machine into another price bracket almost certainly <insert green-eyed-monster smiley here>.

True, it would be helpful if OP had a rough price guide as well.

I ordered a new machine. HP Workstation Z2 G4 - Core i9 9900K 3.6 GHz - 32 GB - 512 GB NVMe SSD. I have a few 1TB SSD's and and new 4TB SSD. Wish me luck!

Plenty of things in Blacklight only workin single threaded mode, so the i9 should cut it. I will bump the memory up.  

Rich2005

Post Posted: Jan 22, 20 08:15

One other thing that might help:
I don't know if you've ordered a cooler already for it, but I'd recommend getting a good one for the CPU, for the extra tiny amount of money. It's an absolute beast of a desktop CPU and, as such, it chucks out a beastly amount of heat if stressing all the cores (especially if something is using the AVX extensions - although that's less likely to happen in "normal" forensics workloads).  

pbobby

Post Posted: Jan 22, 20 21:25

^^

Agreed on cooling, that i9 will get hot as balls.

BytesDigger

Post Posted: Jan 23, 20 05:02

We ordered this config at my lab not too long ago:

Lenovo ThinkStation P720
Dual Xeon CPU - Intel Xeon GOLD 5118 Processor (12 cores, 16.50MB Cache, 2.3GHz)
128 GB RAM - 4x 32GB DDR4 2666MHz ECC RDIMM
NVIDIA Quadro RTX5000
Intel VROC Premium M2.SSD RAID Controller
2x 2048GB Solid State Drive, M.2, PCIe, Opal, TLC (In Raid 0)

This setup ain't cheap, but it's worth every penny if you have the money! The NVIDIA Quadro can be dropped if you don't levrage GPUs in your casework(cracking or AI). RAM can probably be lowed to 32 or 64... you can always add more later if you need it.

We went with this setup primarily because we wanted something enterprise grade that we can get support onsite to swapéfix what's broken same day without hassle.

We installed the OS on a SATA SSD and we keep the M2.SSD for the evidence. Processing evidence goes much faster this way.  

BhoyFett

Post Posted: Jan 28, 20 15:39

We are looking to change our workstations completely and looking for options as we speak.

Currently we are using HP Z820's with about 10TB of storage and a 250GB SSD.

We image to the server but generally work from our local machine as it is quicker so we are looking to increase our workstation capacity to about 20-40TB depending on cost with and 1TB SSD for the OS and 2TB HDD for Cache.

Intel Dual Xeon, NVidia Graphics, 128GB RAM, internal Blu-Ray/DVDR, Tableau Forensic Bridge, Hardware RAID Controller and warranty options.

Anyone recommend a supplier that has good history with forces?  

armresl

Post Posted: Jan 29, 20 04:52

What does "a good history with forces mean"

- BhoyFett
We are looking to change our workstations completely and looking for options as we speak.

Currently we are using HP Z820's with about 10TB of storage and a 250GB SSD.

We image to the server but generally work from our local machine as it is quicker so we are looking to increase our workstation capacity to about 20-40TB depending on cost with and 1TB SSD for the OS and 2TB HDD for Cache.

Intel Dual Xeon, NVidia Graphics, 128GB RAM, internal Blu-Ray/DVDR, Tableau Forensic Bridge, Hardware RAID Controller and warranty options.

Anyone recommend a supplier that has good history with forces?

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

Page 2 of 4
Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next