±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36595
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 137

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Degausser Testing & Verification

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

debaser_

Degausser Testing & Verification

Post Posted: Jun 04, 08 23:39

I am looking for some insight on the topic of degaussers. I like to overwrite drives before I dispose of them mostly because the process is easily verifiable. Unfortunately, when drives are physically damaged, overwriting is not an option.

I have access to a degausser, but am hesitant to use it full time without an accepted way of verifying its effectiveness. I know that most of you are thinking that it renders the drive unusable, and that should be proof enough, but I am looking for something more concrete. The NIST method for testing write blockers was mentioned a few weeks ago, and something along those lines for a degausser is what I hope to find.

Also, if you can vouch for any particular brand and/or model I would be interested in hearing your thoughts. If I find that the model I have is inadequate I may have to go shopping. Rolling Eyes

p.s: Yes, I have tried Google.  

jdement

Re: Degausser Testing & Verification

Post Posted: Jun 05, 08 02:36

Actually, I have found degaussers almost wholly ineffective at removing data from hard drives. The strong magnetic field certainly destroys the circuitry; however, 99% of the data was able to be retrieved when the platters were installed in working drives. This was tested on a drive that had been degaussed 7 times.

Not that it should make your decision easier, but there is also the issue of the very annoying and loud noise a degausser makes (as it vibrates the drive against the magnet).

If the drive will not spin, I see drive shredding or incineration as being the only acceptable methods of completely destroying the data.

But that's just my opinion.  

Page 1 of 1