±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 35657
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 176

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Webinars

Recover data from formatted drive/floppy

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3 

akaplan0qw9

Re: Recover data from formatted drive/floppy

Post Posted: Jul 23, 05 23:59

Stefan Fleishmann, the author and owner of both programs seems to use them pretty much interchangeably He teaches to install both in the same folder and to Alt-Tab toggle back and forth between them.

We have and use both. However, I prefer WinHex because the Forensic version enforces a strict discipline designed to keep the user from making mistakes in moving evidence around. The truth is that the Forensic version is made for a guy like me to keep me out of trouble and your question prompts me to start accepting the occasional error messages that WinHex will not generate.

There are other differences that appear to me to be more aimed at marketing than anything else. In other words, There are certain things that you can do with a Forensic License that you can't do without it. However, we have licenses to all of his products (Except Game Cheats) and any differences or restrictions in capability are transparent to me. As I recall, when you buy an X-Ways Forensic License, the regular WinHex license is included at no extra cost.

Another possible difference between WinHex and X-Ways Forensics that I often forget is that unlike Encase and FTK (that I use), Stefan seems to be going after more than just the forensic market. Data recovery, and Game cheats are two other places his software is used. I assume that his non-forensics users would have no need for the forensics version.
Nevada PI License #220
AKaplan @ LasVegasPI.com 

Page 3 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3