±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36768
New Yesterday: 0 Visitors: 57

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Faraday Protection

Discussion of forensic issues related to all types of mobile phones and underlying technologies (GSM, GPRS, UMTS/3G, HSDPA, LTE, Bluetooth etc.)
Subforums: Mobile Telephone Case Law
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next 

Forensication-can-be-fun

Faraday Protection

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 16:02

I am looking into the possibility of using a faraday box in which to conduct an examination of a mobile telephone. Does anyone have any experience using these or can point me towards an informative website?

Thanks  

mobileforensicswales

Re: Faraday Protection

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 16:29

I've had my eye on some of this phone mesh for a while

www.bkforensics.com/Phone_mesh.html

But I have also heard of train companies coating their train windows in a film to stop people in the silent cabins using their mobile phones. Its quite good by the sounds of it but only has a small MHZ range so maybe not perfect to cover a custom box

Hope this helps Very Happy  

Forensication-can-be-fun

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 16:59

with enough of that material it may be possible to cover an entire lab?
Thanks for your response.
/edit: bk forensics email address bounces my email back. "sorry it didnt work out Twisted Evil ".  

ThePM

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 17:33

We bought the Paraben Stronghold Box last year and I have to say that I'm quite disappointed with the product.

First, within a few months of use, the shielded gloves used to manipulate the phone in the box pierced.

Also, the handles to lock the box's door aren't stiff enough and with time, the door has become loose enough to allow some signal to pass.

Finally, the box is not very practical when you need to capture photos or videos of the phone's interface because the window is almost opaque.

We've looked into other possibilities like using a small cell phone jammer inside our lab or using special paint on the wall to block the signal. We finally decided to invest and buy a 12' x 10' "Faraday Lab". If you'd like, I could post the website of the company that manufacture those things.  

Forensication-can-be-fun

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 18:26

the thing with these faraday boxes/bags: what is the facililty for data extraction? what provision is made for data-cable connection & download?  

ThePM

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 18:32

For the Paraben box, there is a shielded USB and Serial DB-9 port. So, inside the box, you can plug your cell phone data transfer cable and from the box to your computer, you can use a standard USB or DB-9 cable.  

trewmte

Post Posted: Mar 20, 09 18:41

F-c-b-f you know you really do not have to use any radio dampening barriers or clone test SIM cards at all.

There is nothing in UK law that enables a police officer or public authority investigator to stop the delivery of a communication to an intended recipient. Equally it can be technically impossible for a communication service provider to stop the transmission of a communication or recover messages that are awaiting delivery to a device that has either been disconnected from a network or been switched off by the investigator or examiner.
Mobile Telephone Evidence & Forensics trewmte.blogspot.com 

Page 1 of 4
Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next