±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35750
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 106

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Velociraptor

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

hogfly

Velociraptor

Post Posted: Aug 06, 09 19:02

Has anyone tried running the WD velociraptor without the heatsink under full load? Any idea how hot it gets? Stability issues? Since it's a 2.5" drive I'm looking at using one of these w/ 4 raptors in it.  

gmarshall139

Re: Velociraptor

Post Posted: Aug 31, 10 20:23

I realize this is an older message but I'll respond for the benefit of anyone who may be interested.

I have a new Thinkstation s20 with two of these installed, sans heatsink. I'll be using one for the OS and the other for the page file. These drives are 15mm thick, so wont work with some enclosures. The Icy Dock MB991IK-B (single drive) and it's 4 bay counterpart will house these drives.

As for heat I can't say. It certainly helps if the drives are screwed into a metal housing or tray as that draws some heat away from the drives.

Page 1 of 1