±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 35734
New Yesterday: 1 Visitors: 90

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Cranfield - Worth the money?

Computer forensics training and education issues. If you are looking for topic suggestions for your project, thesis or dissertation please post here rather than the general discussion forum.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 

Beetle

Re: Cranfield - Worth the money?

Post Posted: Jan 19, 09 21:40

[quote="emmawebbhobson"]I did the Information Security MSc at royal Holloway College, University of London (£4.5k). Again this is a very well respected course, although covering a wider range of subjects including hardware security, network security, datebase security, computer crime etc.

So did I! Looks like I found a fellow alumnus...

I went through the DL and finished in '06.

I did this one as it was the only DL available with a specific computer crime module at the time. I agree that it gives you a very well rounded view of the issues. After all, the forensics end comes in once the crime has occured and you need to be able to recognise the vulnerabilities in order to figure out how a breach or event was perpetrated. I am also finding that the advanced crypto is becoming more relevant in our agency case load. The computer crime module actually used two tutors from Cranfield and one of them (Martin Warren) ended up being my project supervisor.

Ron  

jgoss

Post Posted: Jan 19, 09 21:48

UCD (University College Dublin) offers an MSc in Computer Forensics that I am currently doing. A fair few of the well known names in UK computer forensics have done it, and its much more reasonably priced than some courses  

ronanmagee

Post Posted: Jan 19, 09 22:51

- jgoss
UCD (University College Dublin) offers an MSc in Computer Forensics that I am currently doing. A fair few of the well known names in UK computer forensics have done it, and its much more reasonably priced than some courses

Like wise Dublin City University offers a similar course. If you're in the EU fees are subsidised from memory. Details here for fulltime or part time. Part time is online based I believe.

Ronan  

3shirts

Post Posted: Jan 23, 09 15:11

7Safe now offer a MSc program that includes very good training at their own facility  

jamie
Site Admin

Post Posted: Jan 23, 09 18:14

- 3shirts
7Safe now offer a MSc program that includes very good training at their own facility

How do you know this, 3shirts?

Jamie
Twitter: twitter.com/ForensicFocus
Facebook: www.facebook.com/forensicfocus 

Blackrat

Post Posted: Jan 23, 09 18:42

Like many who have posted on this topic I have trained at Cranfield and in fact am about to commence the Msc this February. I would agree that the training given at Cranfield is first rate. As far as an MSc in computer forensics goes the MSc at Cranfield is well renowned in the community its high standards for training and requirements for admission to the MSc. Many will say an MSc is an MSc but there are those in the community that will tell you an MSc from Cranfield carries a lot more kudos, especially where employment is considered.

As far as fee's go, it does not cost anywhere near £15,000. It is at least around half that now. Although you do have to consider accommodation costs for the modules you are required to attend.

I have looked at many of the MSc programs being offered and there are quite a few out their now, but a lot of them are or were just computer based programs with a computer forensics module thrown in. You need to look at all the modules being offered before making a decision. The price should not be the main motivator in choice.  

finbarr

Post Posted: Apr 05, 09 00:02

It's worth having another look at Cranfield - the MSc course is kept updated with some of the older modules being dropped and new ones created. The prices have revised downwards to be much more competitive with other courses too. I believe you can do the full three years for around 7~8 thou now.

Cheers,
John.

Page 2 of 3
Page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next