±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 33976
New Yesterday: 12 Visitors: 74

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

RSS Feed Widget

±Latest Webinars

Issues restoring MAC images

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

Issues restoring MAC images

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:53 am

Hi All

Having a few problems restoring an image of a MAC in EnCase into a mounted TrueCrypt file.

I cannot restore the Device from EnCase to the mounted TrueCrypt file however
I can successfully restore from EnCase one of the partitions.

I don't need to restore the whole device I can live with just restoring the partition, so this part is ok.

The problem that I'm having is when I mount the TrueCrypt file that contains the successfully restored partition I get an error from the MAC saying "hdiutil attach failed - no mountable file systems"

Any advice would be great.

Regards
MD  

murdocha

Re: Issues restoring MAC images

Post Posted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 pm

- murdocha
Hi All

Having a few problems restoring an image of a MAC in EnCase into a mounted TrueCrypt file.

I cannot restore the Device from EnCase to the mounted TrueCrypt file however
I can successfully restore from EnCase one of the partitions.

I don't need to restore the whole device I can live with just restoring the partition, so this part is ok.

The problem that I'm having is when I mount the TrueCrypt file that contains the successfully restored partition I get an error from the MAC saying "hdiutil attach failed - no mountable file systems"

Any advice would be great.

Regards
MD

I expect you are referring to a 'Mac'intosh. Here are the fs support in OS X (out of the box). hdiutil does not support Tryecrypt out of the box.

File systems supported by Mac OS X:

HFS

HFS Plus

UFS

UDF

FAT 16- and 32-bit variants.

SMB/CIFS

AFP

NFS

FTP

You will need to use something other than the built in tools to mount the Truecrypt volume.  

Beetle

Page 1 of 1