±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 1 Overall: 35755
New Yesterday: 5 Visitors: 123

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

Mounting drive image

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

nickfx

Mounting drive image

Post Posted: Nov 09, 05 03:13

Does anyone know of a tool aside from Mount image pro and Encase itself that will mount drive images, either Encase, dd, SMART etc. Mount image pro is great but expensive for the number of times I will use it. The issue only presents itself when using FTK out on site.

I would like to be able to create a 'clone' drive from an image too if possible. Any thoughts?

Nick  

cblume

Re: Mounting drive image

Post Posted: Nov 09, 05 06:50

I'm not up on the windows software options, I'll leave that to someone else.

However, for cloning disks, either from a physical disk source, or from an image, nothing compares to dd, it's a top-notch swiss-army knife for drive/image/data manipulation.  

roncufley

Post Posted: Nov 09, 05 17:29

Have I completely missed the point of the original question? FTK Imager will mount most forensic drive images itself and you can examine them in preview mode.
CCTV Forensics and analysis
Tape eDiscovery and Forensics 

gmarshall139

Post Posted: Nov 09, 05 20:13

Paraben has such a product (P2 Explorer). Looks like about $200.00.

jlindmar

Post Posted: Nov 09, 05 21:46

I've used both Mount Image Pro and P2 Explorer. I had better results with P2.  

arashiryu

Post Posted: Nov 09, 05 22:00

Paraben's P2 Explorer works very well.  

Andy

Post Posted: Nov 10, 05 16:03

Nick, do you specifically mean mounting in a Windows environment so you can freely navigate around the file system? If so, there are only the ones already mentioned, to my knowledge....

Just a thought though, if you are using a hardware writeblocker - Fastbloc for example, then there is no real need for a software mounter, as it mounts in Windows and you can navigate around.

If you use Linux, you can mount a DD image as a loop, and navigate the file structure for free.

As regards to making a clone from an image, if you use EnCase then that's very easy, as you can restore the image to another hdd. The acquisition (no dongle) mode will also allow this.

Also, X-Ways Forensics (WinHEX) will allow you to relay an image to a hdd (clone). I think even the demo will allow you to do this.

Andy  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next