±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 2 Overall: 36767
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 174

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

PST FILE PROBLEM

Computer forensics discussion. Please ensure that your post is not better suited to one of the forums below (if it is, please post it there instead!)
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

Pixie

PST FILE PROBLEM

Post Posted: Mar 28, 06 14:20

I have a pst file that I have been trying to repair. The file says repaired, then still will not import. I have a feeling that this file is password protected. Is there any way to check this? And if this is not the problem does anyone have any ideas. The file is +_ 700mb so there is definately data in it. Any ideas will be appreciated.  

itcentral

Re: PST FILE PROBLEM

Post Posted: Mar 28, 06 14:51

stellar info have a pst recovery product that i have used in the past. There is a demo that allows you to examine the PSt and see if you can recover from it. It also allows you to save the results so that if you decide to purchase it you dont have to run the examination again

www.stellarinfo.com/ou...covery.htm

paul  

Pixie

Post Posted: Mar 28, 06 15:07

Hi Paul,

thanks for the reply. i have tried the stellar phoenix software with no results. i think the file is password protected, in which case there is no software (that i know of) that will recover it until the password is deactivated and there is no password cracking software that will help as it will not recognise the file due to it being damaged. Your help is most appreciated though.

Kelley  

itcentral

Post Posted: Mar 28, 06 15:17

kelley

ok, just did a quick google found this

www.rixler.com/download.htm

Outlook pst password recovery - eval will find 4 character password, may be worth a look

paul  

Pixie

Post Posted: Mar 28, 06 15:46

thanks paul.

will check it out.  

koko

Post Posted: Mar 28, 06 21:18

you should really mention what software you are already using, even if it seems obvious. i assume you have been using scanpst to repair and then outlook to open the pst. i don't know what you mean by import or why you would be trying to import from a pst to look at it. if it has been repaired and it needs a password, then you will be prompted for a password when you open it. if it has not been repaired, then you'll get an error and it won't open. it is possible that there is nothing inside of the pst except space that was filled by email that had been deleted before you got it.
a good repair and recovery tool is www.recover-my-email.com/
in fact everything those aussies make is good. browse the rest of their products. and they're very friendly. (i have no affiliation with their company)  

Pixie

Post Posted: Mar 29, 06 15:16

Thanks koko. I will give it a bash.  

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next