±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36595
New Yesterday: 4 Visitors: 102

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

hardware causing corruption on harddisk?

Discussion of forensic workstations, write blockers, bridges, adapters, disk duplicators, storage etc. Strictly no advertising of commercial products, please.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts

debaser_

hardware causing corruption on harddisk?

Post Posted: Jun 19, 06 21:52

I recently had a machine come in that appeared to have a corrupt partition table. It was recognized in windows as unallocated. I imaged it just in case I screwed up and a coworker used a partition recovery utility that worked fine after repairing the mbr. I worked on the machine for about 3 hours and after rebooting it is back to the original state that i received it in. Any ideas?

This is just a repair job btw. not forensic work.  

helpdisc

Re: hardware causing corruption on harddisk?

Post Posted: Jun 20, 06 03:24

change ide cable use ata33

debaser_

Post Posted: Jun 23, 06 16:24

After my few moments of frustration I actually took time to think about the problem. After placing the data onto the new drive it and testing it for a few hours everything is fine. At the time i didnt think of it, but it appears that the problem was grown defects affecting the boot sector.

I used the image of the drive that I took after i rewrote the partition table and mbr. Luckily I did this before i started to patch the machine. The same problem happened after a few hours and I was not able to perform the same steps again.  

zon4jou

Post Posted: Jun 23, 06 22:25

Hardware can really cause problems on harddrives, i've had a problem with a computer running on a mains-plug without a ground connection. The most exotic problems arises: from memory-faults (segfaults) to unbootable harddrives and kernel panics. So if you have problems on your powersupply or a bad mains, this could cause you some problems which on the first sight doesn't appear to come from your powersupply.  

Page 1 of 1