±Your Account

Username
Password

Forgotten password/username?

Site Members:

New Today: 0 Overall: 36459
New Yesterday: 3 Visitors: 128

±Follow Forensic Focus

Forensic Focus Facebook PageForensic Focus on TwitterForensic Focus LinkedIn GroupForensic Focus YouTube Channel

RSS feeds: News Forums Articles

±Latest Articles

±Latest Videos

±Latest Jobs

EnCase 101 Blog

Forensic software discussion (commercial and open source/freeware). Strictly no advertising.
Reply to topicReply to topic Printer Friendly Page
Forum FAQSearchView unanswered posts
Page 1, 2  Next 

LarryDaniel

EnCase 101 Blog

Post Posted: Oct 03, 12 19:02

I have a blog called EnCase 101 that I have not updated in some time. I am thinking about starting to add new posts not that I have a little more time and as time permits.

The question I have for the forum users is; what topics would you like covered?

As someone who has been using EnCase for over 10 years, it is easy to forget that what is second nature to me and my examiners can be quite puzzling to someone just getting started with the software.

For instance, someone the Forensic Software forum asked how to filter by file name in EnCase. The answer is simple if you already know it, but EnCase is not the most intuitive software to use if you don't have a lot of experience with it.

So, I am soliciting suggestions for new posts that I can write or pass on to my examiners to write.

You can post topics here, email them to me directly or PM me via these forums.
"An Envista Forensics Company" 

armresl

Re: EnCase 101 Blog

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 13:57

I'm a betting man Larry, I'll take $50 on PM's or email Very Happy

Alan B. "A man can live a good life, be honorable, give to charity, but in the end, the number of people who come to his funeral is generally dependent on the weather. " 

0range98

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 16:48

Hi Larry, I'm a newbie and don't mind admitting it.

How about an explanation of recover folders, and file mounting, things like that?  

LarryDaniel

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 17:45

Good ideas. Thank you.

Shaman

Post Posted: Oct 05, 12 23:32

Hi Larry, thanks for taking the time!

I mostly use FTK and their Filter system with some Regular Expressions as well. I was wondering if you could do a post in regards to managing EnCase Conditions and GREP?

Thanks and cheers!

Jose  

creeshie

Post Posted: Oct 06, 12 17:05

That would be great Larry. I would +1 the GREP expressions and perhaps the most common steps taken during a theft of IP assessment - USB devices, link files, registry entries etc.

Cheers  

LarryDaniel

Post Posted: Oct 13, 12 22:58

I have been working on some ideas and should be putting up some posts soon. I am thinking I will do small chunks of information with wide application, rather than trying to show a particular case type.

Some of the posts will seem very basic, but to a new person using EnCase, they should be helpful.

I am also taking a look now at EnCase 7 to see how usable it is with the latest update to 7.05. But the blog will be based on EnCase 6 for some time to come as that is still what I use in my day to day work.

I will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2
Page 1, 2  Next